eBay

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Facts, Opinion and Swindon Town

I am not a trained journalist and, having a real job, I don't have the time to chase or follow up stories. Therefore, the collective blogs I have written concerning Swindon Town are mainly my opinion and conjecture, with a smattering of facts gleaned from my own experience and the football club's history. However, I don't think anyone reading my musings would expect the contents to be anything but opinion. However, I like to check my facts first and stay away from anything that could be construed as libellous. It beggars belief then, that some of the British national Dailies resort to making things up in order to fill their back pages rather than write the truth.

Paolo Di Canio shunned the national media post match at Colchester and only gave a brief statement to the two local media outlets he probably feels he can trust and with whom he has a rapport - the Swindon Advertiser and BBC Radio Wiltshire. The statement concerned his players and the Red Army of fans who follow the team up and down the country in all weathers (I wish I could be one of them, but family finances dictate that being a full time fan will probably have to wait until the kids have left home and I'm retired!). Rather than re-report what was said to these journalists, the Dailies made up some tripe about the imminent sacking of Swindon Town's manager once the club takeover had been ratified by the Football League. Thankfully, the head of the consortium, Jed McCrory, has issued a statement through "The Adver" refuting any such notion and states that all members of the consortium are looking forwards to working with Paolo and his team. ("Jed McCrory Rubbishes Sack Plan Report").

I don't know, but in my opinion, once the takeover is ratified and Paolo Di Canio and the new board have their "get to know you meeting", the events of the past fortnight will be forgotten and STFC will be top of the league.

No comments: