eBay

Sunday 18 June 2017

Dr. Who - No, That's Dr. Dolittle!

Cotswold Wildlife Park

180We took our annual pilgrimage to Cotswold Wildlife Park yesterday. Fascinating as the animals are, I've seen them umpteen times before, so tend to find my mind and ears wandering to the antics of the other primates on show at the park -- the human ape. The park is effectively just up the road from Swindon, so it's about a half an hour journey for my family to get there in the car. The eclectic mix of accents emanating from the transient population of humans is evidence of the park's popularity, not only from those within the UK, but also from farther afield, with visitors jetting in from around the world. As we started wandering around the exhibits on show, the comments of other visitors assailled my ears and, much to my wife's relief, I did not pass comment - except in my head...

Visitor: Look at those little otters!
Me: They're not otters, they're mongooses.

North American River Otters, Lontra canadensis...
Otters

English: Dwarf Mongooses (Helogale parvula). B...
Mongooses












Visitor: Is that the anteater?
Me: No, that's a capybara.

Giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla), Cope...
Anteater
English: Photo of a Capybara, formatted (and s...
Capybara










Visitor: Look at that huge turtle!
Me: Tortoise.


English: hawksbill sea turtle, Hawksbill is go...
Turtle
A dome-shelled Galápagos giant tortoise, Geoch...
Tortoise











Visitor: I haven't seen a hippopotamus before.
Me: You still haven't. That's a rhinoceros.

RHINOCEROS 0362
Rhinoceros
----Made Explore---
Hippopotamus









Visitor: Aren't those meerkats sweet.
Me: Meerkats are sweet, but those are prairie dogs


Meerkat_Group_at_Drusillas_Park.JPG
Meerkats
Black-tailed Prairie-Dog (Cynomys ludovicianus...
Prairie Dogs










Visitor1: I like that wombat.
Me: You like a wallaby.

Swamp wallaby joey, Wallabia bicolor.
Wallaby
English: Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus tasma...
Wombat









Visitor2: That's not a wombat, it's a kangaroo.
Me: No, it's still a WALLABY!!!!


Growing up in the 1970's and 1980's, I watched a lot of wildlife documentaries like "The World About Us", "Wildlife on One" and anything connected with Sir David Attenborough. Going on the comments I was hearing yesterday, I must have been the only one.

No comments: