eBay

Saturday 17 November 2012

Boy London

My daughter's birthday is on the horizon, so the question arose as to what she wanted as a present for the special day. She said that she wanted a Boy London t-shirt - Boy London were big in the eighties she added.
"What's a Boy London t-shirt?" I asked.
"One of these," she replied.


"That's a NAZI symbol!" I said horrified.
"No it isn't," she retorted.
"Yes, it is," I replied and showed her this:




"It's just got the Swastika removed (the NAZI's stole it from Asian cultures where it is a symbol of good luck)."
"They've got other designs," I was told.


"That's the symbol of the SS," I exclaimed with more horror and showed her this:


"My Grandfather fought against those fiends (or something beginning with 'f'')," I said. "You're not wearing it."

Now, I remember when Punk Rock materialised in the seventies and they used NAZI symbolism in their dress as a means to shock the establishment, but Boy London is a mainstream designer label. When my daughter mentioned that they were big in the eighties, I immediately thought the t-shirt would look like something Wham would have worn. When I saw the above, two thoughts came to mind:
  1. Boy London are a naive bunch who didn't realise the symbolism of their designs
  2. Boy London are a calculating bunch who counted on the controversial nature of their designs to get people talking, obtain free publicity and, thereby, free marketing

The demographic of Boy London's customer base is at least three generations removed from the hell on earth that was WWII. I believe that the swastika should be used by those cultures who hold it in esteem as a symbol for good luck, but for a designer to use any form of NAZI symbolism in order to make money, then the line has been crossed. Not for nothing is the phrase "Lest we forget" used up and down the country on 11th November each year. I believe the second of the two thoughts above is correct and for Boy London to cheapen the memory of  those who gave their lives in both World Wars, and subsequent conflicts, by selling their NAZI designs is objectionable beyond belief.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am currently sat in the library of one of the best Universities in the country, studying the Holocaust as part of my Jewish History and Culture Masters. I looked up from my studies to see a man, around 20 years old, wearing one of the BOY Jumpers with the Nazi Eagle on it. There is no doubting that it is the Nazi symbol, whether that's what the eagle was originally intended for or not. Frankly, I think the fact I am sat in the library of the University I attend, which is meant to be full of intelligent students, and I can look up and see someone wearing that, is appalling. I wonder if he knows what he's wearing; or that he has reminded me of the relatives I never knew because they were murdered by those who worked under that symbol. I am completely with you on this.